Tortoise Shell Dip Nails - A Classic Mani that’s Perfect for Autumn
Est. 45 Minutes
Est. $56+ / Mani
Est. $5 / Mani
- Apply a thin coat of Step 1 Bond and allow it to dry completely.
- Apply a thin coat of Step 2 Base to the entire nail and immediately dip fingernail into color powder, here we are using JL08.
PRO TIP: Avoid getting the product onto cuticles, powder will pick up wherever Base is applied.
- Immediately dip fingernail into color powder, JL08. Then tap finger to remove excess powder.
- Allow powder to set then use a nail brush to sweep off excess powder. Repeat for desired coverage.
- Carefully apply Step 2 Base, creating several spots on the nail.
Get free tutorials every week!
Sign up for fresh nail inspo & exclusive discounts delivered right to your inbox!
- Using a small eyeshadow brush, sprinkle CL50 over the wet Step 2 Base. Tap finger to remove loose powder.
- Then use a small eyeshadow brush to lightly dust CL64 over CL50. Tap finger to remove loose powder.
- Use a nail brush to sweep off excess powder from the nail.
- Carefully apply Step 2 Base over the already created spots, leaving the edges dry.
- Use a small eyeshadow brush to sprinkle CL64 over the wet Step 2 Base. Tap finger to remove loose powder, then use a brush to sweep off excess powder.
- Apply a coat of Step 2 Base to the entire nail. Immediately dip fingernail into color powder JL08, then tap finger to remove loose powder.
PRO TIP: Brushes may harden or pick up color powder during application. Simply switch them between Brush Softener for easy cleaning & workability.
- Use a nail brush to sweep off excess powder from the nail surface.
- Apply another coat of Step 2 Base and immediately dip fingernail into Base & Finish powder. Tap finger to remove loose powder.
- Apply Step 3 Activator and allow a few minutes for dip blend to harden.
- File and buff nail to achieve desired nail shape & smoothness. Clean nails to remove filing debris.
- Apply a second coat of Step 3 Activator to the entire nail and allow 3-5 minutes for dip blend to harden.
PRO TIP: If you live in a humid climate, you may need to increase your dry time.
- Wash hands or use a lint free wipe saturated in alcohol to wipe the nails clean.
PRO TIP: Make sure nails are completely dry before moving to the next step!
- Apply a coat of Step 4 Sealer and allow 2-3 minutes for nails to dry.
- Apply a second coat of Step 4 Sealer and allow 3-5 minutes for nails to dry.
PRO TIP: Don't apply more than 2 consecutive coats of Sealer as this will prevent even drying & may result in a gummy mani.
- DIY Tortoise Shell Nails are easy to create with our dip powder tutorial. Get a classic amber, black and brown tortoise nail art design with our easy technique. We’ve teamed up with Chelsea from SipAndDip to bring to you this lovely tortoise inspired nail art. She creates lovely dip powder nail looks and shares on YouTube and Instagram!
THE BEST WAY TO START DIPPING
PICK YOUR FAVORITE COLORS AND GET ALL THE LIQUIDS YOU NEED TO CREATE YOUR OWN DIP MANIS THAT LAST 2+ WEEKS WITHOUT CHIPPING! BUILD YOUR OWN BUNDLE HERE!